The content of this page is accurate as of the publication date; however, some offers from our partners may have expired. Browse our list of the best credit cards or use our CardMatch™ tool to find the cards that suit your needs.
Whether you’re looking for free shipping, online grocery delivery, or a refund on your next takeaway order, we’ve got the best online shopping credit cards. Once you’ve reviewed our list, keep scrolling for tips on how to earn the most online shopping rewards and how to stay safe when shopping online.
American Express Gold Card: Best for Grocery Pickup and Delivery
Why did we choose thisA: While the annual fee for an American Express® Gold Card may seem intimidating, the rewards more than make up for it for shoppers looking for perks with weekly delivery or pickup. Cardholders earn 4 points per dollar at all US supermarkets, making them more flexible than store-issued credit cards.
- Welcome bonus of 60,000 points if you spend $4,000 within the first six months.
- 4 points at US supermarkets (on purchases up to $25,000 in a calendar year, then 1 point per dollar)
- 4X points in restaurants
- Free registration in ShopRunner
- $250 per year
- Rewards depending on the annual spending limit
Who should apply: If you spend a lot on groceries and food delivery, this card can be a profitable reward option. Other notable benefits include free registration with ShopRunner for cardholders who prioritize food delivery.
Who should missA: People who don’t want to pay high annual fees should consider another option.
Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card: Best for Free Shipping
Why did we choose thisA: If you love shopping on Amazon.com and want your purchases to ship super fast and you don’t mind the $119 Prime membership fee, the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card is the one for you.
- 5% back on purchases at Amazon.com and Whole Foods
- 2% back on purchases at restaurants, gas stations and pharmacies
- Free two day shipping
- $150 Amazon gift card after credit card application approved
- Amazon Prime membership ($119/year) required to qualify
- No way to transfer reward
Who should apply: This card will appeal to buyers who want fast and free shipping. If you’re already an Amazon Prime member, this card is a good choice as the membership fee won’t surprise you.
Who should missA: If you’re not a Prime member (and don’t plan to use Amazon frequently), the $119 membership fee may not be worth the card rewards.
Citi Double Cash Card: Best for Simplicity
Why did we choose thisA: While there are other credit cards with higher reward rates, many of them are subject to category rotation, exclusions or reward limits, which can make them difficult to use. If you are a credit card enthusiast who loves to play the reward game, you have more options. But if you’re looking for a card that rewards you for effortless online shopping, the Citi® Double Cash Card is a great choice.
- Get 1% back on all purchases, plus an extra 1% on any balance.
- Convert your money back into Citi ThankYou Points at the rate of $1 back per 100 ThankYou Points.
- No annual fee
- The reward will expire if the card is not used for 12 months.
- Minimum buyout $25
Who should apply: If you don’t want to keep track of changing reward categories or exclusions, the flat cashback rate makes this card easy to use while still allowing you to earn competitive rewards.
Who should miss: If you don’t mind switching categories, there are cards with higher reward rates.
Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards Credit Card: Best for Flexible Online Shopping
Why did we choose thisA: If you don’t want to get stuck shopping at one major retailer and want to earn bonus rewards for online purchases throughout the year, the Bank of America® Customized Cash Rewards credit card is a good option for flexibility.
- 3% cashback for selected category (including online purchases)
- 2% cashback on groceries and wholesale club purchases
- $200 online cash rewards if you spend $1,000 within the first 90 days.
- No annual fee
- $2,500 total limit for 2% and 3% categories each quarter
- Rewards are limited to cashback
Who should applyA: People who shop at various online stores may be suitable for this.
Who should missA: If you’re a supermarket addict and do most of your shopping at Target, Walmart, or Amazon, there are store maps that can get you more.
Discover Cash Back: the best option for seasonal shopping
Why did we choose thisA: 5% discount on online purchases with the Discover it® Cash Back card is available once a year – usually in the fourth quarter. The bonus applies to all three major retailers – Walmart, Target and Amazon – giving you more flexibility.
- 5% cashback on purchases up to $1,500 in rotating categories every quarter (activation required), then 1%
- 1% cashback on regular purchases
- Corresponds to cashback at the end of the first year of card membership
- No annual fee
- Changing reward categories are difficult to track and require activation.
- 5% return spending limit each quarter
Who should apply: This card will appeal to people who want to maximize their rewards and don’t mind putting in a little work for it.
Who should missA: Buyers who want a flat rate card for simplicity should probably look elsewhere.
Comparison of the best cards for online shopping
|Online shopping rewards
|American Express Gold Card
|4X points at US supermarkets (including delivery or pickup), free registration with ShopRunner
|Earn 60,000 points by spending $4,000 in the first 6 months.
|Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Subscription Card
|5% back to Amazon.com
|$0 (requires $119 Prime membership)
|$150 Amazon Gift Card Upon Approval
|Citi Dual Cash Card
|1% refund on all purchases with an additional 1% refund on balance payment
|5% cashback on purchases at Amazon.com, Target.com and Walmart.com in the fourth quarter of 2022 after registration (up to $1500 on purchases, then 1%)
|Cashback match at the end of the first year
|Bank of America Cash Rewards Personal Credit Card
|3% cashback on online purchases (upon activation)
|$200 Online Reward if you spend $1,000 within the first 90 days.
How to choose a card for online shopping
If you’re trying to find the best credit card for online shopping, there are a few key factors to consider:
- Welcome Bonus: You can often get the most of your card rewards by meeting the spending requirements for the welcome bonus. If your regular spending doesn’t help you reach this threshold, don’t spend more than you can afford just to get there. Consider timing your application to coincide with a major purchase that you’ve already budgeted for, such as new furniture or a vacation.
- Income level: Assess your shopping habits and find a card that offers generous rewards in categories where you’re going to spend anyway.
- Free or Expedited ShippingA: Some credit cards offer free or expedited shipping, which is a real benefit for cards that reward you for shopping online.
- Annual feeA: Many, but not all, Top Rewards cards are subject to an annual fee. Before applying for a new credit card, decide if the annual fee is worth it.
Since many of us are doing a lot more shopping online than we used to, it’s worth asking if you can use a credit card that specifically rewards online shopping.
Choose the right card and get up to 5% cashback on online purchases at your favorite store, or take advantage of perks such as free shipping or rewards for grocery delivery or takeout. Remember to practice safe online shopping habits and check your statement regularly to make sure you are the only person using your credit card online.
All Visa Signature Amazon Prime Rewards card information has been independently collected by CreditCards.com and has not been verified by the issuer. This card is not currently available through CreditCards.com.